What do you see above: 1) a stock model of a racecar from the up-coming Speed Racer movie, 2) a Big Three concept car that will never see the light of day, or 3) a boutique production car that carries a price tag in the high six figures? If you answered “none of the above”, you’re correct. The stylish, smart vehicle above is not only months away from production, but will fit into your personal garage for under $30,000. The story doesn’t end there– this green vehicle averages 300 MPG on 100+ mile trips and can achieve upwards of 1,000 MPG on local errands. Sound too good to be true? Continue reading for more information on the revolutionary Aptera Typ-1.
The Aptera Typ-1 is the brainchild of Aptera’s founder, Steve Fambro. Six years ago, Fambro set out to develop an ultra-economic, stylish vehicle that would later become the Typ-1, a three-wheeled two passenger vehicle. Today, the Aptera Typ-1 is months away from market, poised to deliver some stunning performance and economy figures. What are these details that this vehicle promises so boldly?
- A price tag under $30,000. The Aptera Typ-1e electric model will cost $26,900. The Typ-1h plug-in hybrid model will run $29,900.
- 300 MPG fuel economy. The Aptera Typ-1h, the plug-in hybrid model, allows for an extended travel range by integrating the gasoline hybrid component to the standard electric motor. After around 50 miles of travel, the Typ-1h will begin to cycle in the gasoline combustion engine to power the electric motor. While travel under 50 miles will likely not require the gas engine duty cycle, the Aptera Typ-1h can exceed 1,000 miles per gallon.
- $1 – $2 per overnight charge. Should you choose the Typ-1e model (or need to charge the Typ-1h), the standard electricity costs of an overnight charge will cost between one and two dollars. This is based on southern California consumer electricity rates in the present day. A full charge will require 2-4 hours.
- 0-60 mph in under 10 seconds. The Aptera Typ-1 will easily take a Prius from the line. The Aptera is clocked to reach 60 mph from a standing start in under 10 seconds, with a top speed of around 85 mph.
- A Long List of Standard Features. The Typ-1 isn’t short on standard-level, luxury class features. Both models include a CD/MP3/DVD/XM media center, a GPS system, rear view cameras with three dash-mounted LCDs, and an air-conditioning system that continues Aptera’s green-conscious approach. Specifically, the Typ-1′s solar-assisted climate control which is powered by solar cells mounted on the roof. Add an RFID-based keyless entry and ignition, you’ve got a luxury class vehicle beyond its eco-conscious core.
The are a handful of drawbacks to the Aptera Typ-1. First, the Typ-1 is presently only DOT approved in the state of California, where Aptera is classified as a motorcycle manufacturer and can legally register VINs. Since the Aptera is a three-wheeled vehicle, it is classified as a motorcycle regardless of its two-passenger enclosed cabin. Eventually, Aptera will extend its offering to the rest of the 50 United States and later Europe. For now, Aptera has decided to focus on its southern California customers as they do not yet have a service infrastructure to handle nationwide demand.
If you’re lucky enough to live in southern California, you can reserve your very own Typ-1 online at Aptera.com for $500. The first Typ-1 is scheduled to roll off the assembly line in late 2008 on a first-reserve, first-serve basis. If you’re in that neighborhood, it’d be hard not to plop down $500 for a promise to own your very own Aptera Typ-1. If you’re not nearby, you may just want to establish residency…
You can learn plenty more about the Aptera Typ-1 on the Aptera website. Stay tuned to GearCrave as well, we’ll be sure to keep you up-to-date on the Aptera Typ-1, including photos, videos, interviews and more as they come available. Want to stay up-to-date? Subscribe to the GearCrave RSS feed for news on the Aptera Typ-1 and more from the ultimate buyers guide for men on the web. For now, go ahead and reserve yourself an Aptera Typ-1…
Reserve for $500.